Wexford is a coastal town located in the southeast of Ireland, known for its beautiful beaches, rich history, and cultural attractions. If you’re planning a trip to Wexford, here are the top 10 things you won’t want to miss:
- Visit the Irish National Heritage Park. This open-air museum is a great way to learn about the history and culture of Ireland. It covers 9,000 years of Irish history and features authentic reconstructions of ancient Irish dwellings, as well as displays of the country’s flora and fauna.
- Take a stroll along Wexford’s historic quay. This picturesque area is home to a number of charming pubs and restaurants, as well as the Wexford Opera House and the National Yacht Club. It’s the perfect place to relax and take in the views of the River Slaney.
- Visit Johnstown Castle and Gardens. This beautiful castle is home to the Irish Agricultural Museum, which is a great place to learn about the history of agriculture in Ireland. The castle itself is a beautiful example of Victorian architecture, and the gardens are a must-see for any garden lover.
- Explore the Wexford Wildfowl Reserve. This nature reserve is home to a wide variety of birds, including ducks, geese, swans, and waders. It’s a great place to go for a walk and enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
- Visit the Wexford Slobs. These wetlands are home to a wide variety of birdlife and are a great place to go birdwatching. The Slobs are also home to a number of interesting plant species, making them a great destination for nature lovers.
- Take a tour of the Wexford Brewery. This family-owned brewery offers tours of its facilities, as well as tastings of their delicious beers. It’s a great way to learn about the history of brewing in Wexford and sample some of the local brews.
- Check out the Wexford County Museum. This museum is dedicated to the history and culture of Wexford and features a wide variety of exhibits, including artifacts from the Viking and medieval periods.
- Go surfing at Curracloe Beach. This beautiful beach is a popular spot for surfing and is also a great place to go swimming or just relax on the sand.
- Visit the Wexford Wildflower Preserve. This nature reserve is home to a wide variety of native Irish wildflowers and is a great place to go for a walk and enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
- Go shopping in Wexford town. The town center is home to a number of charming independent shops and boutiques, offering everything from clothing and accessories to home decor and gifts.
Overall, Wexford is a charming town with plenty to see and do. Whether you’re interested in history, and nature, or just want to relax on the beach, there’s something for everyone in Wexford.